Just Ask!!!

Just Ask!!!

We have the answers….everything you ever wanted to know about DOE testing and more!!!


Q:What is Vehicle Testing Regulations?

Commercial vehicle test (buses, goods vehicles, goods trailers) In accordance with EU Directive 2009/40/EC, all member states of the European Union are required to test for roadworthiness of motor vehicles and trailers.

The commercial vehicle test is a preventative road safety measure which ensures vehicles, particularly older vehicles, using Irish roads are in sound working order. Goods vehicles, buses with more than 8 seats and ambulances are required to undergo a roadworthiness test each year.

SI No 771 of 2004 European Communities (Vehicle Testing) Regulations governs the testing of goods vehicles – vehicles primarily constructed or adapted for the transport of goods. The regulations also apply to trailers with a design gross vehicle weight exceeding 3,500 kilograms.

Q: What is required to carry out a test?

 A: The vehicle, the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (VLC) and the payment.

 Q: What if a vehicle fails?

 A: A “Fail Report” will be issued to you and this will allow you 21days or 4000kms, whichever comes first, to have the repairs made and represent the vehicle for retest at half price. If a vehicle is presented after the above a full test will be carried out at full price. 

Q: What is my vehicle fails on a minor fault? i.e. blown bulbs, headlamp aim.

 A: We can quote you for any rectifications required. If instructed by you most minor faults can be rectified while you wait thus saving the cost of a retest.

 Q: When is a test due on my vehicle?

 A: All commercial vehicles are tested at one year old and every year thereafter.

 Q: Where is Automotive Services?

 A: In Parkwest Industrial Park, Dublin 12. See our Location.

 Q: What are our business hours?

 A: Monday – Friday 08.00 to 17.30 and we’re opened during lunch.

 Q: How much does a test cost?

 A: This varies depending on the vehicle. Click here for our price list.

Q: What is a Commercial vehicle certificate of roadworthiness (CRW)

A:  When your vehicle passes its commercial vehicle test, you will be issued with a pass statement by the test centre. You must exchange this in your local motor tax office for a certificate of roadworthiness (CRW) as soon as possible. You will need to keep this safe and be able to present it when requested by a member of the Garda Siochána.

The certificate of roadworthiness is proof that your vehicle has been tested for roadworthiness and, as such, is viewed by the authorities as just as important as having valid tax and insurance.

Q: What is the Difference between CVT / DoE / VTN?

There are a number of terms used when people talk about having their commercial vehicle tested. Find out what the difference is between CVT / DoE / VTN

The actual test is now called a Commercial Vehicle Test (CVT) but is still commonly referred to as a DoE (Department of Environment) Test.The reason for this is that the Department of Environment originally introduced commercial vehicle testing . They have not been involved in its regulation for a number of years.

The network of commercial vehicle test centres where you have your commercial vehicle tested is called the Vehicle Testing Network (VTN).This is a network of independently owned test centres currently licensed by the Local Authority in the area and are completely separate from the National Car Testing Service (NCT) network which only test cars.

Feel free to call us for any information

+353 (0)1 612 0922